I thought in March 2018 I could make a very good 3d stereo rig for my 3d photos with my 3d printer.

It was maybe a couple of days of designing on the computer and I ended up sticking with the third rig after some slight changes.


This was my second rig which I made myself in 2014.

It was very cheap and worked ok for over three years, but the hinge had some play in it so the cameras could move up and down at the ends and there was nothing stopping them from rotating around the mounting bolts.

It's important in 3d photography for the cameras to be equally aligned.


So this is the latest version..


I spent ages filing the two faces that meet together when it is opened up fully as these faces determine the alignment of the cameras.

Because of the rippled finish of the 3d print, these faces were nowhere near as flat as they should be.

And the round parts of the hinge were also badly rippled stopping it from opening easily so I had to file and sand those parts too.

A metal file doesn't take a lot of plastic off quickly.

And, to avoid getting plastic shavings in the camera lenses, I had to take the cameras out, then file some plastic off, then put the cameras back in with the bolts and see if they lined up properly.

You can see the two magnets that I also used in the older rig which keeps it in the open position.

Although I carefully took measurements of the holes for the magnets with digital calipers, it is normal for 3d printers to print with slightly different dimensions.

Also, after I had filed down these surfaces flat, the magnets then stuck out about 1mm and I realised after spending ages trying to make them fit that I would be quicker making the walls in that part of the rig 1mm thicker in the design and printing two more new parts.

But even in the 3rd rig I still had to spend ages trimming off tiny amounts of plastic inside the holes for the magnets with a chisel till I got them to fit flush with the surface, and in the process gave myself a couple of finger cuts with the chisel.


You can see how well the lenses line up in this photo.

And it's now not possible for them to rotate out of position as they did regularly in the last rig.

It's good that I can now try this rig out and make any changes needed easily and it only costs about 50p for the plastic to make another one.




Click on the donate button to give Craig Hood some money for no reason at all.